Telephone: 717-632-7366 20 Wayne Ave Hanover, PA 17331 Fax: 717-632-2464
Penn Township Recycling Drop Off Center
1020 Wilson Avenue
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Closed Sundays & Holidays
As a result of a state mandate, Penn Township was required to implement a curbside recycling program. In conjunction with this a refuse program was introduced to promote recycling and also place more emphasis on environmental shopping and waste reduction.
The program is simple, pay for what you use. Residents are required to use special Penn Township refuse bags sold at the Municipal Building or at any of its distributors for disposal of normal everyday household waste.
The Township provides each home with a recycling bin which is the property of Penn Township and must remain with the property. If the bin is destroyed or not available, the Township can provide the resident with another bin for $8 + tax. If you choose, you may provide your own plastic container, however it must be marked with a white recycling sticker on each side. The white recycling stickers are available free of charge at the Recycling Drop-off Center or at the Township office on Wayne Avenue.
Penn Township recycles the following products curbside which may be commingled:
* Glass food and beverage containers: Bottles and Jars only. Clear, Brown, or Green. NOT ACCEPTABLE: Container lids, ceramics window or auto glass, light bulbs, drinking glasses, mirrors, porcelain, glass cookware or bakeware and broken glass.
* Plastic bottles, containers and jugs: containers numbered 1 through 7 with a capacity of one gallon or less are acceptable. NOT ACCEPTABLE: shopping bags, toys, plastic wrap, utensils, styrofoam, microwave trays, unnumbered plastics, tubs and cups. The plastic lids on soda, milk and similar plastic bottles should be removed and disposed of in the trash.
* Aluminum and Steel Cans: Empty Food, Beverage, Aerosol and Paint cans only. NOT ACCEPTABLE: Cans with pain or chemicals, propane tanks, aluminum foil, pie plates, foil trays or scrap metal.
NO DISPOSING OF MATERIAL EXCEPT DURING POSTED HOURS OF OPERATION
ABOVE GUIDELINES STRICTLY ENFORCED. VIOLATORS WILL BE SUBJECT TO FINES AND PENALTIES AS PRESCRIBED BY ORDINANCE #434, AS AMENDED.
Special programs provided at no additional cost include:
Curbside Leaf Collection Christmas Tree Collection
For detailed information on the specifics of both recycling and refuse call 717-637-1561 Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or email email@example.com.
Penn Township uses a "Pay-As-You-Go" trash collection program. There is no monthly or quarterly bill, simply purchase bags as needed. Please follow these guidelines for trash collection:
- Only "Township" trash bags will be collected by the hauler.
- Remember to keep your trash bag in a covered, leak-free container.
- Bags must be tied shut when set curbside for collection and can't weigh more than forty (40) pounds.
- Trash should be set curbside no later than 6:00 am the day of collection and no sooner than the evening prior to your collection day.
- Bulk metal items must be scheduled for collection by calling 717-637-1561.
- Other bulk items can be set out on your normal trash collection day, limit one (1) per week.
- A bulk item is an item that will not fit into a trash bag.
REFUSE BAGS CAN BE PURCHASED AT THE FOLLOWING RETAILERS FOR $4 PER BAG:
Giant, 901 Baltimore Street Giant, 445 Eisenhower Drive Penn Township, 20 Wayne Avenue Rutters, 1400 Baltimore Street
Rutters, 1009 York Street Sweet Treats Bakery, 1055 Baltimore Street Walmart, 495 Eisenhower Drive Walmart, 1881 Baltimore St
Weis Markets, 1424 Baltimore Street Weis Markets, 860 Carlisle Street